My Blog List

Search This Blog

Follow by Email

Translate

Thursday, December 6, 2012

8 years later...

Yesterday my status update on Facebook was the following:

"my reality is every parents worst nightmare" 

While it is sad, it is also very true.  And I know too many other parents with the same reality.  No parents wants to celebrate their child's birthday without them.  But today that is what we are doing.

For those that do not know the story 8 years ago today at 12:40pm Garrett James was born.  Born with EB and just a little over a month early he weight in at 5 pounds 13 oz.  Little did we know, his time here on earth would be short; very short.  Just 12 short days later as quickly as he born, he was quickly gone. (for those that don't know or don't remember he died from complications of a blood infection not caught soon enough by the doctors)  If you have never heard his story before, you can find it here.

I have done a blog post on this day for the past 7 years and each time I never know what to say.  There is nothing new to say, no new pictures to post.  But I can tell you that time does not heal all wounds; the pain doesn't go away; it just becomes easier to live with.  I wonder how he would look like today.  Would he have blonde curly hair like Summer and Joey?  What would his favorite subject be in school? Those are questions I live with every day; questions that will never have answers.

After he died I was determined to do something good in his memory to help others so that his death was not in vain.  That is when I started Garrett's House  a web site to educate others about EB; help new EB families so no one else would go thru what we went thru and to promote awareness.  Like many web sites, Garrett's House evolved and is now called In Garrett's Memory

So tonight when everyone gets home from school and work we will eat dinner together, open presents and build our traditional gingerbread house and remember Garrett.  And eat cheesecake; can't forget the cheesecake!  Though his time on Earth was WAY too short, I know the impact he had will last a long time.





1 comment:

  1. <3 We love you, Sara. <3 What a guardian angel Garrett must be, watching over you and your family. Keeping you strong, keeping Joey and the girls embraced in the love that only an angel in heaven can give. Happy Birthday, Garrett. <3

    ReplyDelete