My Blog List

Search This Blog

Follow by Email

Translate

Saturday, January 28, 2012

10 1/2 yrs of memories

In about 10 hours I will be heading to work for my last shift at the Target store I  have worked at for that past 10 1/2 yrs.   I have been with the company since 1994.  I worked during high school and all the way through collage and even though I was working as a legal assistant after collage I still worked at Target part time.  When Joe and I made the decision to move to Florida in 2001 it was an easy decision to just transfer to a Target down here so I would have a job.  I intended to find work eventually as a legal assistant, but that proved to be much harder than I planned.  I did find part time work in a law firm, but I then became pregnant with Sami and knew 2 jobs wasn't going to work out.  I could work full time at Target and get benefits, so the choice was easy to make.

We found out about 2 1/2 months ago that Target decided to close our location; it was no longer profitable to keep 1781 open.  And that was so hard new to hear...of the 120+ employee maybe a dozen or so have been there since the store open!  I think we were the most shocked of all.  It hard to put into words how I felt.  It was VERY hard to leave my job, family and friends when we moved to Florida.  While I have some friends here, no one quite like my friends back in Michigan.  The one thing that has been constant in my life since we moved here was my job at this store.    No matter where we were living, I still worked at the same store.  Many of my fellow team members came to Sami's baby shower after she was born and rejoiced in her birth despite all her medical issues.   They were there was we lost Garrett and many of them took time off work  three days before Christmas to come to his funeral and celebrate his short life with us.  The supported me when I decided to come back to work after his death.  They were happy (but thought we were crazy) when I announced each of my subsequent pregnancies:-)  They have all be understanding since Joey was born and all the extra care he requires.  I was fortunate that a former store manager created a position that was just right for me.  I was able to work when I could, putting my family first yet still able to have a job and keep my medical insurance.     And have been very blessed that all the other store managers that came after, allowed me to stay in the state position with some flexibility on my hours allowing me to be at stay at home mom during the day.  I am not sure if that will be the case at my new store but I am hopeful. 

I have made so many wonderful friends at 1781.  And its very sad that we are all leaving; going in separate directions.  Some leaving the company; others transferring to another store.  And along with the friends, comes so many memories...closing during the hurricanes; the fire in the supply closet and subsequent flood; the deadly accident in the parking lot; all the people who "drank the water at work" and the babies that followed:)  The weddings of fellow team members;  all the crazy black Friday's and the nights before Thanksgiving's.  Going to work at 3:30am EVERY Sunday to set the ad's! Going through 6 STL's and who knows how many HR's in 10 yrs....all the crazy/funny/happy/rude/mean guest that came through over the years.    I am sure there is so much I have forgotten but will remember as soon as I hit publish! 

To my fellow team members/friends:  THANK YOU for a wonderful 10+ yrs.  I am thankful to have known you all (even if for a brief while)  I wish the very best on where ever the next chapter of your life leads you. 

I will close with a song that is sorta fitting for us.  While we may not have always looked forward to going to "work" each day, I know many days it was the people we work with that made it worth it.

Here is the theme song from Cheers:

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?


Sometimes you want to go


Where everybody knows your name,

and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.

You wanna go where people know,

people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your name.

Full Lyrics never actually aired


Making your way in the world today

Takes everything you've got;
Taking a break from all your worries
Sure would help a lot.
Wouldn't you like to get away?

All those night when you've got no lights,

The check is in the mail;
And your little angel
Hung the cat up by it's tail;
And your third fiance didn't show;

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came;
You want to be where you can see,
Our troubles are all the same;
You want to be where everybody knows your name.

Roll out of bed, Mr. Coffee's dead;

The morning's looking bright;
And your shrink ran off to Europe,
And didn't even write;
And your husband wants to be a girl;

Be glad there's one place in the world

Where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came;
You want to go where people know,
People are all the same;
You want to go where everybody knows your name.

Where everybody knows your name,

And they're always glad you came;
Where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came...

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/





P.S.- I knew I would forget to mention something I wanted to say!  But at times I just want to get tomorrow (and Sunday- we are having a going away party)) over with. Other times I never want them to get here...almost feels like we are going to a funeral. I guess in someways we are...

No comments:

Post a Comment