My Blog List

Search This Blog

Follow by Email

Translate

Saturday, March 19, 2011

PICU- day 1

For the past few days Joey has been struggling with eating.  Overall he eats well, but it takes him a while to get started with each bottle but once it gets going he drinks fine.  He was also really garglely when he breaths.  Well Friday he got worse so we took him to the doctor.  She felt he needed to be checked out more than she could in the office and sent us to the ER.  While there they did blood work, chest xray, all were normal.  We figured it was blisters in his throat or airway and they wanted to keep him overnight for observation.  Once we got upstairs to peds, things went down him, REALLY fast.  They put him on O2 and sent us to the PICU.  Here, they started steroids and breathing treatments to help reduce the swelling in his airway. He was responding slightly but not a great deal.  He began retracting when he took a breath and then the stridors started. While we spoke with the dr about if we should intubate now or wait till he needed to be, Joey made the decision for us by going into respiratory failure.  He is now on a ventilator in a medically induced coma and has an IV and a central line.  He is getting IV fluids; his potassium and sodium are a little low.  His albumin is also low so he is getting that too.  So far no signs of a blood infection!  He is on two IV antibiotics to hopefully prevent infections.  

The good: he is FINALLY calm after crying almost no-stop for the past 2-3 days.  Before intubation his heart rate was in the 230's!  Now is down into the 170's-180's.  He is breathing more comfortably too.

The bad: our nightmare with Garrett all over again:(  it is like a never ending nightmare....
There is concern about damage the tube in his throat will do long term, but right now we have a living baby still and that is all that matter,  We will deal with the rest as it comes along.

The girls are with Joe's mom....she was suppose to arrive Tuesday but didn't make it till today due to car trouble.  We are still trying to decide about Summer's birthday party this weekend...we know her friends (and their parents) will understand, but Summer won't and we already had to post pone her party once.  Joe has another week off work which is good.  

For those wondering what you can do to help: 

1) PRAY, A LOT.  the doctors are doing what they can and Joey is a strong baby but extra prayers won't hurt anything:)

2) prayers for the girls too, especially Sami...she was too young at the time to know what happened with Garrett but she understands way more now and I am worried about what this will do to her.  

3) the girls are taken care of, but if anyone (local) want to drop a meal off, (as much as I hate asking for help from others) it would help my mother in law out.  

4) i have wanted to make a blog button for Joey for my blog, but haven't had the time so if anyone that knows how wants to make me one, feel free.  I know its an odd request at a time like this,  but I cope by keeping busy and since there isn't much I can do for Joey's care right now, writing keeps me from crying all the time, wondering what we did to deserve this again...

I will try to post daily with updates....but for now assume no news is good news....

5 comments:

  1. Oh Sara: How I wish I lived closer to you right now. Of course I will be praying for Joey and for the whole family. Take care my friend. Keep the Faith Love and Hugs Leah's Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want you to know that I am praying for Joey's health as well as for peace and wisdom for you and the physicians caring for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for Joey and strength for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, I wish I lived closer to help. I know a little about ptsd after having a baby die and then going through a pregnancy that reminded me of my daughter and how she died. That fear just keeps coming back. Keep remembering that this is Joey. He has his own journey, keep focusing on the differences and not the similarities. Similarities are good if they help with medical problems but they can stop there. Joey does not have a blood infection. He doesn't have to get one. Hang in there. We are praying for a good outcome. What a blessing that you went to the ER when you did. I am so glad he is getting rest. Now he can get rested up and his body can heal. I know you know all of this but I hope to encourage you. Keep the faith, it's a new day and Joey is just beginning to write his own story.

    Barbara and AJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. (((hugz)))I have a ton of people praying for you and Joey Sara. I don't know what to say, but I want you to know I am here if you need me.

    ReplyDelete