My Blog List

Search This Blog

Follow by Email

Translate

Sunday, November 22, 2009

1998

1998 was a big year for me- both good and bad. 

The year started out bad when a co-worker was hit by a drunk driver while walking her 9 month old daughter.  She died 5 days later.  (RIP Tammy!)  Her daughter would be 12 now....I think of her now and then wondering how she turned out.  That was the first funeral of a close friend or family member I had been too.  Every time I hear "Somewhere over the Rainbow" I think of her. 

During the summer of 1998 I got on an airplane and flew 15 hours around the world to visit my best friend and her husband in Italy! (the song 'leaving on a jet plane had a whole new meaning!)  I traveled with her parents and his parents!  That alone was an experience in itself!  We did a lot of sight seeing, going to Venice, Florance, Pisa, and Rome.  We toured the Vatican (which was under construction at the time), saw the leaning tower of Pisa, took a train (w/o A/C) to Rome; saw the sun set on a Mediterranean sea; watched fire works on the 4th of July on an Air Force base; we climbed a mountain and I vowed to do that again before I turned 30, which unfortunately didn't happen:(  I took lots of pictures and have some wonderful memories.  

Shortly after that I celebrated by 21st birthday.  A group and friends and I went to Red Lobster for dinner and after wards, my only 3 friends old enough to drink took me to a bar for a drink.  I had an amaretto sour.  I thought it was pretty good:-)  We hung out and talked for a while.  I think it was my best birthday every! 

I started my junior year of college that fall and re-kindled a friendship from the past.  That however was short lived and I had premonition that the next guy I met would be the man I marry.  And wouldn't you know, the Tuesday before thanksgiving I got a email from my now husband.  We met on a on-line dating service through one of the local country radio stations.  We emailed for a week or so, then spoke on the phone a few times and then agreed to meet (on a blind date).  We meet for dinner and a movie on December 11th and the rest is history!  So next week Joe and I will have known each other for 11 years and what an 11 years it has been; two states; moving 5 times; 5 pregnancies and many pets later, we are still here!


Here are the lyrics to Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment