My Blog List

Search This Blog

Follow by Email

Translate

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Update: A heartbreaking loss

I wanted to wait till I got more info to post about this, but it looks like it'll be another 3-4 weeks before we know the entire story. But about 10 days ago I went to the doctor and found out I was 9 weeks pregnant. Two days later I started bleeding. I was going to wait it out and go to the doctor in the morning vs going to the ER and waiting for hours and hours. But within 20 minutes the pain got so bad I could no longer stand up and was on the verge of passing out. I sent Sami to get the neighbor and she came over and called 911. They arrived just as Joe did. My blood pressure was dangerously low and they felt I was bleeding internally. I wanted to go to the hospital my OB was at, but the EMT's didn't think i'd survive the 40 minute drive. So they took me to the nearest hospital. At the ER I received 2 blood transfusions and they did an ultra sound. The baby was still alive but there was a lot of fluid in my abdomen, they assumed it was blood. I had to have emergency surgery. I went into surgery around 11pm and came out around 1am on Thursday, which was also my birthday. The surgeon found two tears in my uterus, and the baby floating in my abdomen. He was able to save all my organs, but I lost almost 3 quarts of blood and the baby as well. I had to have two more blood transfusions. The part that is still unknown, was it a true ectopic pregnancy and just happened to tear my uterus or was it a normal pregnancy w/ a uterine rupture. We should have the final surgical report when I go back to the doctor after labor day.

So I am off work till Sept 9th. We weren't able to find anyone to come stay with us and help with the girls, and Joe had to work, so he goes in early, takes a long lunch to come home and put Grace down for a nap since I can't lift anymore than 10 pounds. And then goes back to work and is home to make dinner. The girls are having a hard time since all I can do is get them something to drink and eat. Not much else. They are helping by helping feeding the cats, throwing clothes into the washer, then I can hand the clean ones to them and they put it into the dryer, pushing the laundry basket to the living room where I can sit and fold laundry. I can't drive yet, but hopefully soon.

Sami had her first girl scout meeting last night, and tomorrow we go meet her new teacher. She starts school on Monday. I haven't decided if it will be easier or harder once she goes back to school. I guess we'll see on Monday. Her birthday and party is a week from Saturday as well. She is very excited about that.

Well I just wanted to update for those who may not have heard the news yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment